Look guys... I know that Logbook being down is unfortuante, and it's a pain,
but things like this happen sometimes, despite the best intentions, procedures,
precautions, and backups. Just ask any other IT professional... we've all dealt
with situations like this (or worse) at one time or another, given enough time
in the field.
Wild speculation isn't going to help any.
It is unfortunate that DX World published the claim that "~45%" of "recent
data" had been lost -- and I don't blame MM0NDX for publishing it, as he
received the alleged story from two or more sources. But pending accurate
information from the League to the contrary, I would take any such claim
(especially one that vague) with a huge grain of salt.
Now with that all in mind... maybe the time has come to upgrade the LotW
servers & related infrastructure. And the user interface could certainly use a
little sprucing up, it's age is showing (though granted, it's clearly designed
to be functional, not pretty). These things can cost money... lots of money.
(Even if you, as a web designer, donate your time, your time is has value to
it). So I'd humbly suggest that you start thinking of ways to improve the
system, and ways to present them in a positive way to the League... and that
may include outright cash donations or other fund raisers.
That strikes me as a more positive exercise that wringing our hands, going "oh
woe is us! LotW is down" and otherwise acting like the proverbial Chicken
Little.
73, ron w3wn

or

subscribe dx-news