Hi All,

>But then I don't see the fascination of IOTA either... You can drive to most
>of the Islands now.

Sort of doubt the above statement. There are 1200 islands or island groups in the IOTA program. I agree that you can drive to a few - but "most" - hardly!

I suggest getting a copy of the IOTA directory, looking up the coordinates of the various islands, and for many of them, you are literally taking your life in your own hands trying to get to them, e.g. St Peter and Paul Rocks, Heard Island, South Sandwich, etc. True, some islands are fairly plush, Kigman Reef and French Frigate Shoals, come to mind.

You must remember that the individual or small group that go to many of these places fund themselves, operate with wire antennas and 100 watt rigs and working them can be a real challenge. And next time you are out my way I recommend your chartering a boat or plane rather than drive to NA066.

73, Harry, W6YOO

And lastly, when your DXCC count is above 330, it gives you something else to do on those quiet evenings when there's nothing on the boob tube.
------------------------------------------------------------------------ Subscribe/unsubscribe, feedback, FAQ, problems http://njdxa.org/dx-news To post a message, DX NEWS items only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Archives available at http://www.mail-archive.com/dx-news%40pro-usa.net/ This is the DXR reflector sponsored by the NJDXA http://njdxa.org