William Hein, AA6TT wrote:

I am astonished by the number of ham DXpeditions who are also
operating on 11m 'freeband'.

For example, the recent ham DXpedition to The Gambia appears to
have also operated on 11m as 118AT/DX with freeband QSLs to
310AT102 (aka YL3CW).  These callsigns apparently assigned by the
Alfa Delta organization in Italy.

I've heard that many, many other ham DXpeditions also fire up on
11m 'freeband' (Temotu, Chesterfield, East Timor, etc.).  Icom
France is even financially supporting freeband DXpeditions which
means they must be selling a lot of ham gear to freebanders.

Casual Websurfing will reveal that the freebanders are perhaps
even more active than hams in mounting DXpeditions.  And going to
places (like VU7, YVO, SV/a) that hams can't easily go.  And
tagging along on a lot of ham DX outings.

Is this the DX equivalent of Napster?  What does this mean for
our DXing hobby in the long run?

Bill AA6TT

As an ex AT member i can tell that since i remember the best part of the AT (most elite club on 11m for a long long time)
were HAMS, i only got interested with ham because i was able to operate (DX) on 11m i got more and more interested in getting more pro. .. and i ended up on HF ... 11m went into history
there are lots of guys like me... here in Poland most of SQ callsigns are people who got ingo radio via CB and CB Dxing

Maciej Sebastian Muszalski (Miles)

SQ5EBM