This is getting far too confusing because multiple patches for multiple
bugs are being conflated. I produced a fairly straightforward patch that
fixed an issue I directly saw in people's backtraces, and other issues I
identified that are similar. This is what this bug report is for.

The later patch that supposedly fixes something else is not mine, hasn't
been tested by me, purports to solve an issue I personally haven't seen
in a way that has no similarities to the bug I opened this report for
(other than it occurs in Discord as well). Please open a separate bug
report with backtraces that demonstrate *that* problem, and with *that*
patch attached.

This avoids confusion and possible backing out of my patch together with
the second, unrelated patch in case said unrelated patch has introduced
a new problem.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to libappindicator in Ubuntu.

Title:
  Segfault in app_indicator_set_icon_full [patch attached]

Status in libappindicator package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in libappindicator package in Arch Linux:
  New

Bug description:
  [ Impact ]

  Discord and several other applications using libappindicator are
  widely reported to have been crashing for several years. See:
  https://github.com/flathub/com.discordapp.Discord/issues/30 (and
  others)

  [ Test case ]

  - Run discord application
  - It must not crash in ubuntu (or when indicators are enabled)

  [ Regression potential ]

  Very low, icons might not appear in some cases, if any.

  -----

  This is the backtrace:
  (gdb) bt full
  #0  0x00007fe1d5d2e00e in  () at /app/lib/libappindicator.so
  #1  0x00007fe1f5a6f3c5 in g_closure_invoke () at /lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
  #2  0x00007fe1f5a813d2 in  () at /lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
  #3  0x00007fe1f5a8a02c in g_signal_emit_valist () at /lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
  #4  0x00007fe1f5a8a40f in g_signal_emit () at /lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
  #5  0x00007fe1d5d2ed4f in app_indicator_set_icon_full () at
/app/lib/libappindicator.so
  #6  0x000000000077851a in  ()
  #7  0x0000000001de7123 in  ()
  #8  0x0000000001e4bd4e in  ()
  #9  0x0000000001e6e34c in  ()
  #10 0x0000000001e6e668 in  ()
  #11 0x0000000001e6e9cb in  ()
  #12 0x0000000001df971a in  ()
  #13 0x00007fe1f354b1c7 in g_main_context_dispatch () at /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
  #14 0x00007fe1f354b430 in  () at /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
  #15 0x00007fe1f354b4dc in g_main_context_iteration () at /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
  #16 0x0000000001df9606 in  ()
  #17 0x0000000001e6e0e7 in  ()
  #18 0x0000000001e29570 in  ()
  #19 0x0000000000c37ec8 in  ()
  #20 0x0000000000c37d15 in  ()
  #21 0x0000000000c1da7d in  ()
  #22 0x0000000000a9282e in  ()
  #23 0x00000000007892d4 in  ()
  #24 0x00000000007896e0 in  ()
  #25 0x0000000003b830a3 in main ()

  Happens in all versions of libappindicator built from latest sources
  available on launchpad.

  I ran into the issue yesterday when installing Discord for the first
  time. I have tracked the problem down to libappindicator passing in an
  extra vararg item to g_signal_emit that the signal's definition in
  libappindicator was not declaring, causing the crash you see above in
  gobject's g_signal dispatch machinery.

  Patch is attached.

  I am presuming this is 'upstream' for libappindicator, whatever that
  may mean for what appears to be an unmaintained project. If it is not,
  and since it is an Ubuntu/Canonical-sourced project originally, I
  respectfully request that you assist in upstreaming it since this bug
  is causing severe breakage for users across all distros.