Hello and thank you! I just reinstalled focal and the same happened. After the
bug, the system crashes with "Oh no! Something has gone wrong" and a log out
button. After restarting, sudo apt update wrongly reports "All packages are up
to date". I am attaching journalctl report. During Ubuntu Installation, the
only parameters I changed were:
-disabled download packages during installation
-enabled automatic login
the rest were mostly left as default

** Attachment added: "journalctl.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/accountsservice/+bug/1885452/+attachment/5388131/+files/journalctl.txt

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to accountsservice in Ubuntu.

Title:
  pc freezes and crashes during accountservice upgrade on fresh ubuntu
  focal fossa install

Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  After a fresh install of Focal Fossa and running sudo apt update and sudo apt
upgrade, when the upgrade reaches "setting up accountsservice" the PC freezes.
After a reboot, the login screen did not appear anymore. This was reproducible
on another computer (laptop). I reinstalled Ubuntu and put the package on hold.
Later, I found that by installing and activating lightdm, this problem was
remediated. Found this solution accidentally, while I was looking to correct
login screen loops after I installed the nvidia drivers. This is unrelated,
since the laptop does not have nvidia.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  Package: accountsservice 0.6.55-0ubuntu12~20.04.1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags:  focal
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-39-generic x86_64
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True