The issue is not present in Ubuntu 20.04 or later. The question is if
dropping the patch retroactively as a bionic stable release update
should be done. I discussed this with Sebastien Bacher in the ubuntu-
desktop team, and we concluded that we are not able to tell that no
bionic user depends on the patch, so we won't drop it for bionic.

In case of libvirt-qemu you provided a nice workaround, which may be
useful for other users who encounter the issue.

** Changed in: accountsservice (Ubuntu)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to accountsservice in Ubuntu.

Title:
  accountsservice displays "Libvirt Qemu"

Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Installing libvirt-manager results in account libvirt-qemu being
  created. This user has config in /etc/passwd like follows:

  libvirt-qemu:x:64055:125:Libvirt
  Qemu,,,:/var/lib/libvirt:/usr/sbin/nologin

  The "nologin" should be pretty clear signal that this account is not
  usable for logging in. Despite this, this account is offered in visual
  login (e.g. lightdm). The computation for possible user accounts is
  handled by package accountsservice.

  A workaround is to manually list this user as system user:
  echo -e "[User]\nSystemAccount=true" >
/var/lib/AccountsService/users/libvirt-qemu

  However, as this user cannot be logged in (/etc/shadow contains "!" as
  the password hash, too) it never makes any sense to show this in login
  screen even without the above manual configuration.

  Related: bug 857651

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
  Package: accountsservice 0.6.45-1ubuntu1.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-52.57~18.04.1-lowlatency 5.4.65
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-52-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Sun Nov  8 16:54:24 2020
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: accountsservice