Courtney,

Just use Window's search utility. start->search. Look for the log file
name, probably k4wi.dxl. If you can't remember the file name just look
for all .dxl files. To find the previous version look for the .~xl
extension file. There's also a file called DX4WIN.DXB which is the file
that is automatically saved if you don't do a manual save. See below
for more info on DX4WIN.DXB.

Here are the specific directories on my system:

C:\Program Files\dx4w503\DX4WIN.DXB
C:\Program Files\dx4w503\save\n5km.dxl

If you installed in the default recommended directories then it should
be the same on your system.

DX4WIN.DXB
----------
dx4win maintains an autosave log file called DX4WIN.DXB.
Let's say DX4WIN.DXB doesn't exist (which is the case when dx4win is
first started).

If you log a QSO and let dx4win automatically save, it will create
DX4WIN.DXB in C:\Program Files\dx4w503 and save your log there.

If you subsequently do a manual save your normal log, probably k4wi.dxl,
will be updated but DX4WIN.DXB will remain the same, that is, not
updated.

The next time you let dx4win automatically save the DX4WIN.DXB file is
renamed to DX4WIN.~XB and your log is saved to DX4WIN.DXB.

This rolling of DX4WIN log files continues for every autosave until you
exit the program. At this time the DX4WIN.DXB file is deleted and the
DX4WIN.~XB file is retained.

So based on your crash experience you may or may not have either of the
DX4WIN log files depending on any automatic log saves prior to the
crash.

dx4win can detect a crashed version of your log file so you
might want to try restarting dx4win. If it detects the DX4WIN.DXB file
on startup it assumes the program crashed without going through the
normal exit (deleting DX4WIN.DXB). You will be given the opportunity
to save it. Save it with a name like crash.dxl. Then open crash.dxl and
examine it for the missing QSO's. If you're lucky they will be there. If
it crashed before your QSO's were autosaved you're out of luck. If you
find them then just rename crash.dxl to k4wi.dxl.

Your last chance is to look for DX4WIN.~XB. If this exists, rename it to
something like oldlog.dxl and put it in your save directory
(C:\Program Files\dx4w503\save). Open it and inspect it for the lost
QSO's. If you find them rename oldlog.dxl to k4wi.dxl. Note: its not
possible for DX4WIN.~XB to have ALL of your QSO's. By definition some
will be missing.

Good Luck.

Kris N5KM

PS: Based on this analysis it would appear that a better program exit
strategy would be to rename DX4WIN.DXB to DX4WIN.~XB then exit. This
would allow more QSO's to be recovered in case DX4WIN.~XB is the only
thing left to salvage after a system crash.

Courtney Judd wrote:

> Flame out here! computer crashed and I lost the few qso's that I had logged.
> It saved it somewhere but I can't remember where. Anyone know where to look?
> I really wouldn't care but I just had worked OX3OX on six meters and was a
> new one for me. Thanks
> Courtney Judd K4WI
> 2300 County Road 61
> Uniontown, Al. 36786
> e-mail= [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  • [Dx4win] crash <[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Courtney Judd)
    • [Dx4win] crash Kris Mraz