The other thing is that if you have QSO Date set to "Range" in
Preferences (Preferences->QSO->QSO Date), then when you press F8 to
do a search, after you enter one date, when you press Enter to start
the search, you'll get prompted for the 2nd date.

If you have the QSO Date field set to either Exact or "Greater Equal"
(one of which is the default, I think; I changed mine long ago), you
won't get prompted for a second date.

Hope this help.

         73,
                 David, K2DBK