Trying to get ready for field day and I need some quick help.

I have Version 5.03 running on XP with one of the few reasonably new laptops
that still has a Serial Comm port. I've used DX4WIN on previous field day
events and I have an 9-Pin RS-232 cable already made up to work with RTS.
The last time I did this  I was running XT.  I can hear DX4WIN sending CW
through the computer's speaker but I don't see it switching the voltage
across the base resistor of the 2N2222 transitor.  I am using an Icom 706
and  the "Preferences/Radio" is set for Icom Radio and  Comm Port 3, RTS and
a delay of 5 ms.   I think the port is set for Comm Port 3 in Windows XP
because everytime I try to change it to a different Comm Port I get and
error message.  I would appreciate any help that could be provided. I should
have done this before but other higher priorities prevented me from getting
this done until now.

v/r      terry

Terry Hines, N4ZH
3505 Woodburn Road
Annandale, VA 22003-1373
HM 703 560-1824
Wk 703 983-3049
CL 703 862-5322

> Trying to get ready for field day and I need some quick help.
>
> I have Version 5.03 running on XP with one of the few reasonably new
> laptops that still has a Serial Comm port. I've used DX4WIN on previous
> field day events and I have an 9-Pin RS-232 cable already made up to work
> with RTS.

I think you have to use different COM ports to control the radio and to send
CW.  You may also use a LPT (printer) port to send CW while using the COM
port to control the radio.  Note that the LPT port pinout is different from
the COM port.

73 de Isidro, EA8NQ
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (remove the _ )
Visit the EA8NQ DX Page (in Spanish):
www.ure.es/ea8nq/