Fred... Vista and XP are exactly the same in this regard. I have already
requested this change to Paul. It also is a problem for me if I plug in
my web cam which has only a sound input and no corresponding output.
When it is plugged in I have to use card 2 for input and card 1 for
output which DX4Win cannot accommodate.

There are much better programs for PSK. Hopefully, one of these days,
Paul will support interfacing with one or more of them directly. DM780
has a UDP interface that should be relatively easy to implement.