From: dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net [mailto:dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net]
On Behalf Of Ernie Walls
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 01:26
To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Dx4win] Modes

It's is interesting watching the various posts , here and other places,
about 'modes'.

As far as DX4Win is concerned, I once got involved in this discussion
thread, but used a workaround that 'satisfied' DX4Win, LOTW and me! It
involved 'Olivia', now but not always supported by DX4Win, and a wonderful
example of what I am about to say.

The problem that has already arrived is that the good old amateur community
has created a monster with 'modes', a monster that is going to take a fair
bit of management in the future, and which is only going to be achieved with
a fair bit of angst being felt by many, following a tough call from an
important player, probably LOTW.

The monster that has arrived is the mode, and specifically what mode, given
that there are already very many, shall I say,
oblique/boutique/nondescript/irrelevant/obscure modes already out there, and
modern software and amateur thought will ensure many, many more in the near
future, to a number that will be practically unmanageable as standalone
modes.

Might I say that, on this subject, we seriously risk disappearing up one's
own major orifice. (I am sorry if this offends - I used it to indicate the
seriousness that I forsee in the issue, already and in the future).

BTW, I am not complaining, just commenting, because modes to me essentially
mean Phone, CW, Digital (RTTY and PSK31) - and with a willingness in my
heart to accept DATA as an all encompassing mode for all others. Folks, it's
just my opinion.

Can anyone place themselves in the shoes of the LOTW decision makers, now,
and determine how we manage this 'monster' now, and into the future?

Let me know. Cause every individual, every logging and contest program,
LOTW, the whole shooting match, will have to comply. And be happy!

I stand by with interest cause I think it will be a lot of fun!

Ernie

Ernie Walls VK3FM

vk...@wallsy.com.au

vk...@arrl.net