If the upload date is set it indicates that the ADIF file has already
been uploaded. If you need to regenerate the ADIF file you must clear
the upload date for the QSO's you want to upload. That's the way it
works... In order to generate the lotw file the date must be clear AND
the upload flag must be set.

ver 8 makes the process a little simpler (though not as simple as many
programs) but it still checks the date. I assume it was to prevent
uploading the same data twice... but it works a little too well. BTW,
you're not alone. A lot of people have been confused by this "feature"!