Friends:

Using the Task Manager and the Configuration Manager resource mentioned
in the previous post, I am feeling better about eliminating the problems
I was experiencing with my Windows 7 Ultimate system and DX4WIN.

First, the change from the Display Windows Manager (dwm.exe) from Aero
to Classic themes seems to have made the windows faster.  As I continued
to look for anything that used more resources than DX4WIN, I also
removed a Microsoft Office utility that is for shared document caching.
It seems like the Install script for Office adds that to your Startup
programs and I will never share an Office document from this computer.
then, two Adobe Acrobat products installed themselves to make my PDF
reading faster in some way and they are now not part of the system
startup and background processes.  When these changes are combined, the
system behaves better, at least so far.

Second, I found a configuration error in the system that had really bad
side effects.  When I was attempting to get the MMTTY RTTY software
working, I have set the audio output device to default to my Ten-Tec 712
USB-Sound-Card Interface.  I had also set the Mic input to PTT on the
Ten-Tec radio.  The result of this mistake is that my system sounds,
startup, spots, etc were being routed to the radio, not the speakers,
and were keying the radio.  Not at all a good thing, since I have to
assume those sounds could be heard, even though I set the radio to one
watt output when I'm not in QSO, just in case.

So, one set of changes to minimize overheads on the combined CPU/GPU of
a low-end, low-power motherboard and a secon change to reverse a
bonehead configuration mistake that I made in a last-ditch effort to
make something unrelated to DX4WIN work.

Again, time is the real measure of resolution, so I'll give it a week or
two of active CW work to see if this is truly resolve.

73, Byron