Jim,

Thanks.  I will experiment with the settings you provided.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Reisert AD1C
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:34 PM
To: Bob Turner
Cc: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] Delete Old Spots

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Bob Turner <n2...@msn.com> wrote:

> Its it possible to have old spots expire/delete automatically?

There are two different concepts here.

The maximum number of spots in the DX Spots window is specified on the
Packet2 tab of your preferences, in the "Scrollback capacity" section.
Spots don't "expire" per-se, but once the limit is reached, the
oldest spot is deleted to make room for the newest spot.

On the Packet1 tab is a sections called "Age for spots (min)".  This
controls the alerts.  Let's say you need ST0R.  Since something like
this will be spotted maybe several times a minute (which is completely
unnecessary, by the way), you'd hear beeping or announcements each
time a new spot occurs.  What the "Age" does is specify a window of
time for which a spot is considered "new" and worthy of a(nother)
alert.  For example, let's say that you have "Spots" set to 10
minutes.  That means that once there are no more ST0R spots for 10
minutes, the next spot of ST0R will cause the alarm/announcement to
sound.  As long as spots keep coming in at less then 10 minute
intervals, you won't get any new alert.  I hope I explained this
correctly, I can think of another way this might work, but I hope my
explanation is the correct one.

The Band map has its own "age" setting.  This is how long a spot
remains in the band map after it has been spotted.  So if the age
value is set to 30 (min), then 30 minutes after the last spot for a
given call, that spot will disappear from the band map, until it is
spotted again.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us