I think I've finally figured this one out! The other night there was a 4U1ITU
spot on 40m CW
that was grayed out. My countries window showed that it was worked but not
confirmed. I
thought that the spot should be green on white for this situation.

 From DX4Win helpfile:

"Band/Mode combination worked but not confirmed"
"green on white"
"A band / mode combination that was worked previously, but never confirmed.
This
contact will
  not add to award standings. (The band is not a new band and the mode is not a
new mode.)
  The same callsign and band/mode combination is category 9)"

It turns out the last cryptic sentence is the key! If you've worked that
"particular" station before
the spot is grayed out.  If not, it's the green on white color scheme.

73, Roger

--
Remember the Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://www.usslibertyveterans.org/