I just upgraded laptop to Dell with Windows 7 (8 year old think pad with XP
died). Since no serial port needed to search ways to connect. From posts on
various web sites seems folks had numerous problems getting DX4WIN and radio to
talk to each other. Here's my experience in case it helps someone else:

- bought TRENDnet USB-to-serial cable from local computer store but drivers on
cd were old Windows so I downloaded Win 7 drivers from TRENDnet web site. They
did not appear to install. Cable had male serial connector on serial end so I
used old female-to-female straight though 9 pin serial cable to connect
TRENDnet cable to radio's male serial connector.
- couldn't find ports listed in Windows device driver and this created problem
getting right comm port set in DX4WIN radio preferences.
- seems the secret to getting device manager to show ports is to connect cable
to USB port WITHOUT connecting other end to radio. Then discovered comm 3 was
correct port. Device manager also told me driver wasn't installed so let
Windows search for driver. Downloaded and installed Prolific driver.
- connected USB-to-serial cable to radio via other cable and voila - DX4WIN and
radio talking.

Had some other issues replicating my old configuration but now up and running.
Hope this info helps somebody. Happy to clarify if needed,

73 de Bill, n9esi

Sent from my iPad