Hi Duane,
I am not sure if it works with the new Flex-6500, but I am using DX4WIN
configured for "Flexradio" in the Preferences, address 00, 57600 bps, 800ms
polling, DTR ON and it works fine with my Genesis G11 SDR controlled with the
Power-SDR compatible software GSDR. You have to create a virtual com port pair
using VSP Manager or some other software, and allocate one end of the pair to
the SmartSDR CAT and another to Flexradio in DX4WIN.

There is also an UFB program called DDUtil  on
http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

which offers many superb functions and controls  for Flex radios:
        * Provides radio frequency, mode and many other radio states to RCP
clients.
        * Allows remote control of many hardware devices using BCD, RS232,
TCP/IP, I2C:
        * Amplifiers (Acom, Alpha, KPA-500, SPE)
        * Antenna Controllers (SteppIR)
        * Antenna Rotators (Alpha Spid, Green Heron, Hy/Gain/EZ, M2, Prosistel,
Yaesu)
        * Antenna Tuners (KAT500, PalStar AT-Auto)
        * Band Switches (many)
        * Flex Control Knob
        * Preselector (Heros SCR Cat)
        * Watt Meters (Alpha 4500, Elecraft W2, LP-100(a), Power Master, Wave
Node W2)
        * Macro Command Interpreter
        * Automatic Drive Control for Amplifiers
etc.

I am using this program to synchronize my FT1000MP as TX,  controlled by the
MicroHAM2 keyer,   with the SDR as RX, and it works really great!

73 and GL, Radi F6GNZ