Hi Folks,

I will be releasing a new major version of the DX4WIN Data Update
sometime in the next couple of weeks.  This message is partially an
announcement of my plans, as well as a solicitation for other
suggestions.

Only these three data files will be affected:

1.  Calendar
2.  Master callsign database
3.  Membership list

This update will also add more integrated support for the ARRL
National Parks on the Air program.

Part of what is driving these changes is to reduce my own workload,
both in releasing updates, as well as a little post-update work I have
to do on my own computers.  For example, running the new Updater will
download the latest sources to build the Membership list, so there
will be no need to wait for me to package a list and release it.  I
believe the changes will benefit most users.  The downside is that I
will no longer provide Master Callsign or Membership List databases
that you can download from a web page.  You *must* use the Updater to
get the latest versions of these databases.  *** If this is going to
be a huge impact to you, let me know ASAP, it's possible I could
design this differently. ***

As the DX4WIN Data Updater does today, your original files are saved
in a BACKUP directory before the updater runs, so there is a way to
recover from a problem.

Here is a more detailed description of each change:

1.  Calendar

Rather than downloading a calendar that you still have to import into
DX4WIN, the DX4WIN Data Updater will import the calendar
automatically.  It will merge the calendar(s) you have selected into
your existing calendar, so all past events, as well as any events you
have added yourself will be preserved.  The Updater will provide two
sources of calendars.  You can choose one or both:

- 425 DX news calendar from http://www.ariscandicci.it/dx4win.php
- ARRL NPOTA 10-day calendar from
https://npota.arrl.org/nps-events.php (only this calendar will be
supported, not the full calendar)

Remember that the DX4WIN calendar has a feature to cleanup (remove)
expired events.  This is left up to the user to decide, it will not be
part of the Updater.

If there is another calendar source you have been using, please let me
know and I will add it to the list.  Because this is a merge and not
and over-write, there could be issues with data corruption.  I will do
my best to minimize this, but sometimes the only recourse will be to
delete your existing calendar and build a new one from scratch.

2.  Master callsign database

The DX4WIN Data Updater will download and import the most recent
database(s) directly from its source.  The Updater will always
over-write any existing master callsign database you already have.  I
am proposing two sources of this data, from which you can choose one
or both:

- Club Log, updated weekly, see:
http://clublog.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/54907-super-check-partial-files-scp-
- Super Check Partial for contesters, updated monthly, see:
http://www.supercheckpartial.com/

3.  Membership list

This will be the biggest change.  There will be at least five sources
of data for the membership list, from which you can select any
combination.  Many of these sources are updated on a daily basis:

- ARRL LoTW users from http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw/lotw1.txt
- eQSL Authenticy Guaranteed users from
http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/DownloadedFiles/AGMemberList.txt
- OQRS (on-line QSL request) users from http://hamclubs.info/lists/OQRS.txt
- ARRL NPOTA callsigns from https://npota.arrl.org/nps-events.php
- a custom list specified by the user

If you want other sources added, let me know and I will try to include
them.  For example, FOC, CW Ops, etc.  Preference will be given to
lists that can be found on the hamclubs.info web site.

There will be a new menu from which you can pick the various
membership list sources, as well as the 'Id' to assign to each one.
This 'Id' shows up in the Memb column of the DX Spots window.  For
example, your membership list might contain only NPOTA callsigns, with
an Id of '@' meaning they get highlighted in the DX Spots window like
an all-time-new DXCC entity.  You can use the same 'Id' for multiple
lists if you want.  The default setup will be like it is today, but
you can configure it the way you want.  Any existing membership list
you have in DX4WIN before the update will be over-written, after being
backed up.

I am also going to allow you to include a custom membership list, a
simple text file you create, containing one callsign per line.  This
is useful because the Callsign Alert list in the DX4WIN preferences is
limited in length.  For example, my list contains my own call (AD1C),
my father's call (W1JR) and the current years list of Bulgarian Saints
(see https://www.qrz.com/db/LZ1012SGM).  You could have your friend's
callsigns, upcoming DXpeditions, etc.  Your custom membership list can
contain only full callsigns, not prefixes or wildcards like VP8*.

The biggest problem with this change is that some of the source data
files may be unreachable (eQSL tends to be unreachable a lot).  In
that case, the Updater will use the last one it was able to download.

If you have any other suggestions for the DX4WIN Data Updater, please
let me know.  It will probably take me a week or two to put out an
initial release, then probably an update or two as people find issues
that I need to fix.  The longer-term benefit is that if there is
another event like NPOTA, or another membership list that is popular,
it should be relatively to add to the Updater (once I get over thsi
hump).

Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us