On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Tom Hammond K8BKM wrote:

> In the DX4WIN QSO window, in the upper right-hand corner is a display-only
> field that shows a logged station's Country|IOTA|GridSquare, Heading, and
> Distance. I would like to know if this information is saved as part of the
> QSO record, or if it's calculated on the fly.

On the fly.

> Is the distance calculation an internal algorithm that displays the value
> only, or is the data available to report on?

It's internal.  Furthermore, the information you would need to
calculate distance to/from your location, i.e. latitude/longitude of
DXCC entity, state, Grid or IOTA, is internal to the program as well
(embedded within the country file).  There's no way to extract that
information.

> If the answer is no (distance is not stored) then if I export my log data
> along with a grid square, does anyone know of a macro or external function
> that I could call  from Excel to calculate to populate a distance column?

No but you could Google it:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=distance+vucc+excel

It would only be useful with grid squares, unless you have tables of
geographic coordinates for the above-mentioned locations, and
understand the DX4WIN priority for deciding which set of coordinates
to use:

1.  Grid
2.  IOTA
3.  State