On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:23 PM, Ronald Sigismonti <n...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  I hate to bother you with this, but I have spent a good bit of time trying
> to solve my dilemma and just seem to keep making matters worse.  I wanted to
> update my version 8.05 country file so that it would include the new Z60A
> credit, so I downloaded the updater and attempted to use it.  I have never
> done that in the past, opting to simply update the country file manually.
> After downloading the updater and launching it, it told me I had a missing
> file, which was identified as a possibility in your release notes.  I went to
> the Microsoft site and downloaded/installed the missing file and then tried
> the updater again.  It still wouldn’t launch, so I gave up and went back to
> your site and downloaded the DX4WIN.CTY zip file and proceeded to install the
> two files as directed in your release notes.  When I finished, I launched
> DX4WIN and looked to see if the Z60A QSO’s were being correctly identified
> and found that they weren’t. It seemed strange to me so closed the log file
> and went into the country editor to see if it was in the list and didn’t see
> it.  I proceeded to attempt to manually enter the requisite information and
> then exited the editor, tried to open my main log file and then my world
> imploded!

Where do you have DX4WIN installed?  If it's somewhere under
C:\Program Files, the update probably won't work.

The country editor is prone to problems.  It's best to update the
country file by downloading the latest one.  The instructions are
here:

        http://www.country-files.com/dx4win-info/#Install

What error were you getting when you tried to run the Updater, after
installing the required file from Microsoft?

Your log is almost certainly in-tact, it's the country file that is
most likely corrupt. Once you get the new one installed, you should be
OK.   "When I finished, I launched DX4WIN and looked to see if the
Z60A QSO’s were being correctly identified and found that they
weren’t." most likely indicates that you did not install the country
file in the right place per the instructions, or that DX4WIN is
installed somewhere under C:\Program Files, which is a protected
directory under Windows Vista and later.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us