Thanks Jim and group, that solved it. Found a few contacts with "DC" that must have been populated from LOTW. Cleared those out, restarted, and all is good.

73 Len

On 2018-06-22 12:08, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 9:16 AM  Dave N4QS wrote:

Yes, I had the same problem a few weeks ago. As I recall, I had imported a contest log that included DC as the state. To find it, I did a search (F8) for DC in the state field. There was one QSO that came up. I merely deleted DC and cleared the state field and saved the QSO. That got me back to 50 states.

You also have to exit DX4WIN and re-start, otherwise the strange entry
will still be at the bottom of your WAS | Listing.