> This has happened to me several times with no apparent reason why. It
> always turns out to be my COUNTRY dat file went away. I go to the
> BACKUP folder, find the latest COUNTRY DAT file, copy it to the SAVE
> folder, then DX4WIN opens normally. Then I do a HELP: CHECK FOR
> UPDATES to be sure I have the latest COUNTRY file.

Just to show another side to this....

I have two computers running DX4WIN 9.09 24x7, one in the shack and
the other in the home office.  Both computers are relatively modern
and have solid state disk drives and lots of memory.  I have done
nothing special to disable Windows 10 updates.  Sometimes I'll kick
off an update if I see that one is ready (shutting down DX4WIN first),
but other times I'm logged into work or have a bunch of other stuff
running and can not reboot.  Nonetheless, more often than not, one or
both computers will eventually reboot on its own, and DX4WIN will
restart *without problems*.  It has been this way for years, I have
never had a DX4WIN data file corrupted as the result of a Windows 10
update.

As they say, your mileage may vary.  This is just my own personal experience.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, https://www.ad1c.us