On 11-Jun-22 19:55, Alan Zack wrote:
How does DX4WIN determine DX Zones? By the country list? I have the
latest country list in my DX4WIN
I just received my 2021 DX Marathon UBN results back and I got dinged
for entering VK5DOC for Z29. The VK5DOC qrz.com page does not show
what zone he is in. When I logged him in my DX4WIN log it was entered
as Z29, not Z30. The QSO is confirmed with LoTW. It shows him in Z29,
not Z30.
When I asked John K9EL, the contest manager, why I was dinged for a
wrong entry for Z29 here was his reply:
I also use DX4Win and if I enter VK5DOC, it says Zone 30.
I have never heard that any VK5 stations can be in Zone 29.  I have
been doing this contest since 2008.
John may very well be right but why would my version of DX4WIN show
Z29 and his show Z30? I only have one entry for VK5DOC on 07/03/2021.
In my log for Z29 I have many VK6, VK8, and VK9 stations but only one
VK5, the VK5DOC shows as Z29.

Entering VK5DOC over here correctly assumes zone 30. If your log has him as 29, it's possible that you created an exception in the database by overriding 30 with 29. He may have given you a wrong number - he wouldn't be the first one. The other possibility is that he incorrectly set up his TQSL station information with a wrong zone and you overrode the default zone in the log by accepting the LOTW value. LOTW works on the GIGO system - virtually no station info verification exists.

Hope this helps.

WA7AA