Hello Guy and Nick (I don't have the e-mail address of Don and John ready)

Found this on HCDX :

------------
You should note that neither Total Recorder nor any of the other virtual
recorders about which we know does continuous time-stamping like several of
the MD recorders do. There are running indications (in minutes and seconds)
of how far you are into the recording, as well as its total play-back
length. If you allow Total Recorder to save the recording automatically, the
default title is the time and date of the end of the recording. The lack of
absolute date-stamping does not seem to be much of a problem in practice.
------------

RecAll-PRO is doing that for you. It's a tiny little recorder that
continuously time and date stamps recordings. You can download it at
http://www.sagebrush.com

Furthermore it has a Vox (voice-activation). That means that you don't have
to strangle with setting the times of the receiver and once again that of
the recorder. No RecAll records only when there is audio available at the
line-in and stops when there is no audio. You can activate settings to start
a new file every time when there is audio available again and file names can
have a date prefix if you want.

There's also the non-pro version but I recommend the pro.

Both can be tested during 15 real use days (not calendar days).

DX-radar looks like a very interesting tool, but it is a pity that it isn't
compatible with my AOR AR7030.

Ergo is also a real nice program but I advise you also to take a look at
RxWings at
http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html It's Freeware and works with the
AR7030 from AOR, the NRD-535(D) from JRC and the RX320 from Ten Tec!  Ergo
looks nicer but this program doesn't need correct frequency tuning for
displaying.

What's also nice is that you can tune the receiver while the PC tracks what
station you are tuned to (The 'snapping' range can be modified). And let's
hope that there will be a new MW-ILG in the near future as mentioned on
Bernd Friedewalds's site.

There is also a possibility to do a spectrum scan. This is probably
worthless compared to the DX-Radar but the nice thing about RxWings is that
the source code is open. So if you have programming skills it might be
possible to 'convert' the spectrum scanner into a DX-Radar.

For the rest, I thank you very much for this very interesting article on
HCDX.  Although I am using a laptop too next to my AOR, I have learned a lot
about it.

Next month I will be for the first time on a real DX-pedition in Fjerristlev
(Denmark). I hope that conditions will rise and that I will be able to make
a lot of good catches.

73,

---------------- Guido Schotmans - Antwerp, BELGIUM -------------------
RX: AOR AR 7030 - ANT: Wellbrook ALA 1530 outdoor active broadband loop
Narrow FM Homepage http://go.to/narrowfm or http://dxing.hypermart.net

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom