>Your question provokes us to focus on a major factor inhibiting the growth
>of e-gold - that there's no common way now to put money into an account fast
>(as in a matter of minutes instead of hours or more likely, days and weeks).
>An ironic situation, considering that e-gold is destined for greatness as
>the currency of the internet.

It's worth noting that funding -- say -- a trading account with your
stock broker is just as "difficult" as buying e-gold.

For that matter, funding a new BANK ACCOUNT is just as difficult as
buying e-gold.

When you open a stock broking account at etrade or whatever, you
certainly cannotget funds there instantly  --  your options are wire
and wait days, bank check or cashier's check and wait a week or a
personal check and wait a couple of weeks.

A stock broking account, like buying e-gold, is a very HARD form of
money.  Whenever you are trying to buy a very HARD form of money,
using a softer form of money.

Here is the "May Scale" of money hardness (comments invited)

        --hard--
        1 street cash, US dollars
        2 street cash, euro currencies, Aus, japan
        3 egold
        4 street cash, other regions
        5 interbank transfers of various sorts (wires etc)
        6 checks
        7 consumer-level electronic account transfers (eg bPay in Australia)
        8 business-account-level retailer transfer
        --soft--
        9 paypal and similar 'new money' entities
        10 credit cards
        --ludicrously soft!--

It is not meant to be definitive (eg, 6 and 7 could perhaps be
swapped; I left out cash on call at your stock broker, which is
probably around "2", etc) but gives a framework to think in.

Now if you're a retailer and you're selling VCRs, sure, you can take
poxy money around the May Scale of 8, 9 or 10.

But if you're a "retailer" and what you're selling is money itself
--- ie, you are selling e-gold, or you are Quick & Reilly -- it is
EXCEEDINGLY DIFFICULT to accept anything with May Scale > about 5.

(Note that at coconutgold, we simply only accept wires!  All the
exchange providers for e-gold who accept money on the May Scale of 9
or 10 are very brave, tough, and quite understandably have to charge
fairly high premiums to do so!)

Again the point --- it's no surprise or horror that it is somewhat
DIFFICULT to get e-gold, to fund e-gold .... it's for exactly the
same reason that you can't instantly fund a stock broking account.

(Observe that at Bananagold, we TAKE IN #3 and PUT OUT #8 .. so
that's a very 'secure' transaction.  The #3 transactions is
essentially not reversible, whereas the #8 transaction is a joke, we
could reverse it anytime with a short argument on the phone.)

What a surprise! that banks will only accept money that is at the 1
to 4 end of the May Scale, and they are only really happy giving you
money on the 6 to 10 end of the May Scale!