On 13 Apr 2001, at 11:38, CCS wrote:

> > Because you introduce a new risk. The unit of account of the new digital
> > currency system is then no longer backed 100% by an hard asset (gold) as
> > soon as you use credit instruments to increase your broad money base.
>
> Huh???   A risk for which currency?  There are two units of account
> involved.  Nothing has changed for the backing unit.

True, the risk is for the digital currency system as a whole.
Say e-gold (or any other gold currency issuer) starts issuing e-gold
Bonds. For each grams in reserve they issue 10 grams worth of
paper e-gold bonds. This creates  risk for the holders of these
bonds which are now part of this digital currency system. Altough
the basic unit of account is  a gram of gold, the fractional reserve
system makes it that it there are now 10 holders of an e-gold bond
with a face value of 'x' gram that have a claim on the same 'x'
gram(s) of gold.

Since we don't know what happen with the proceeds from the
issuance of these e-gold bonds, the risk cannot be controlled.

That is how I understand fractional reserve banking.

Claude

http://www.goldcurrencies.ca
http://www.ormetal.com