>> >If they can sniff keyboard strokes they can sniff anything in the input
>> >stream, including mouse clicks...
>> >
>> >Sidd.
>>
>> Certainly true - however the idea I supposed would be to temporarily
>> win an escalating war.
>>

>Not really. In fact, it might be more work to write a sniffer that records
>only keyboard events instead of just logging all Windoze messages. I think
>it's safe to assume that any sniffer knows everything you do with your
>computer. The only protection is not to install a sniffer.

Sam, you could be right, I don't really program PCs, only macs a little bit.

My guess is:

if you had a mouse-type-sniffer on a PC, you would still have to
figure out "which item the mouse moved it to"

I'm fairly siure the OS level doesnt know what the fuck it is doing
WRT a pop-up control being operated within an application (ie,
Netscape or I.E. in the example)

So, from your sniffer you would get back an incredibly obscure set of
information showing all the mouse movements on the screen; you would
have to unwrap that to figure out, how much the person moved the
mouse to which select-option, etc.

Again, i do not know enough about Windoze programming (thank god) to
answer the question.  My hunch is it would be tremendously difficult
(but not impossible)

My guess is that a hacker would write someting that peeked around
INSIDE THE BROWSER appliation level -- *relatively* easy and doable,
that's what I'd try to do on a Mac, anyways.