At 03:40 PM 06/12/2001 -0400, Paul Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Seems to me, that if a keyboard sniffer is present, then typing a login ID
>would be reported, along with the password, so what difference would
>having another ID make?!

It makes a huge difference.

Picture a hacker receiving data streams from a number of
Trojans he's planted in the computers of e-gold a/c holders.

In one case, he knows the e-gold a/c #. He has a program
which scans the data stream, looking for the a/c #. When
he finds it, it's very likely that what follows is the password.
This makes it very easy for the hacker to find the password.

In another case, the hacker doesn't know the log-in #. He
most likely does not have a practical way of quickly identifying
any string of characters as the log-in # for an e-gold a/c. This
makes it much more difficult for the hacker to find the log-in #
and the password.

Such issues can be further discussed on the
Gold Account Security discussion list -- to subscribe, send
a blank email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
or join at <http://www.topica.com/lists/gold_security>.

Frederick Mann