> David Hillary wrote:
>
> >Central banks hold reserves of assets sufficient to pay all their
> >currency liabilities and all their deposit liabilities. This can
> >be seen from their balance sheets.
> >
> Is this a joke?
>
> The assests the central banks hold are called I.O.U.'s.  I don't
> know  about Australia, but in the United States the dollar is
> backed by debt.
>  A dollar is nothing more than debt token.  It is not even a
> promise to  pay any more.

The assets of central banks are debt securities -- debts of
governments, corporations, individuals and other central banks and
the assets of their central bank owner.

The liabilities of central banks are currency and central bank
deposit liabilities, which are assets to their owners (governments,
corporations, individuals and other central banks).

Central banks' balance sheets are like any other banks' balance
sheets, consisting of assets, liabilities and owners' equity. Central
banks are not insolvent. They are capable of paying their debts. This
is not a joke. Central banks can redeem the entire monetary base of
central bank balances and currency liabilities.

The HKMA (Hong Kong Monetary Authority) is a currency board, but it
can be considered a type of central bank, that happens to peg its
currency to the USD (@HK$7.80=US$1). The HKMA has (more than) US$1
for each and every HK$7.80 in circulation and therefore its promise
to redeem HK$7.80 for US$1 is credible -- it has enough US$ to redeem
the entire monetary base at this rate.

Central banks such as the Reserve Bank of Australia, while they do
not peg their currency to the USD or any other currency, they, like
the HKMA, do have assets that they use to defend the value of their
currencies. The value of these assets exceeds their liabilities.

> Dollars are only worth what people are willing to exchange them
> for.
>  The dollar is accepted worldwide because of the stability of the
> US  Government, not because it is actually worth anything.  When
> the US  falls into a deep recession the value of the dollar will
> not be much.
>  That is why the Fed is scrambling to try to stop it.

A central bank can provide a monetary base to an economy and the
value of the currency unit is that which equilbriates supply and
demand for it. The central bank controls the value of the monetary
unit by influencing supply by various means. It also attempts to
influence demand by providing stability and credibility in its supply
and the utility of its currency.

Why do people have so much difficulty understanding money and
banking? Its not easy but its not impossible to understand either.

David Hillary

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!