On 21 Oct 2001, at 0:16, C. Cormier - Ormetal Inc. wrote:

<SNIP>
> BTW Ian,

> When you opened account at Paypal, did they ask for
> identifications to be faxed to them.. things like drivers' license ?
> Utility Statement ?

> Then did they sent the instructions to access your account by
> regulat mail, or were you already set up to proceed online.
>
> I wonder if their procedure to open an account is too loose!
<SNIP>

No, but they did confirm a bank account and credit card account
and billing address by depositing tiny amounts that I had to confirm
from the bank statements. It was a problem also that I could only
withdraw to the confirmed Australian bank accounts and not to my
Datek account in New York which would not (at least at that time)
accept the (few cents) ACH deposits.

One could presume that if I can confirm that I actually received the
bank statement and if they can confirm the address I gave them
with the bank, which has, according to banking industry practices
(and usually government identification regulations), verified "100
points" of identification documents, then I am who I say I am.
Regarding your concerns, maybe other countries do not have the
kind of identification requirements that you hope for. Certainly
Australia did not, twenty or thirty years ago. Undoubtedly many
countries will not be as advanced in the 'Big Brother' stakes as the
USA, Canada, UK and Australia. (But, I think most of those
countries are not on the list of countries where PayPal can verify a
bank account for withdrawals.)

I'm not sure that requiring faxed documentation would have been
much (or any) more of a guarantee of blocking fraudsters than it
would have disuaded honest people who were wary of sending
copies of identification documents over the Internet or who may not
trust PayPal themselves with the information. At least at a bank (in
Australia) they would look at the documents and then simply verify
that you had sufficient documentation and were who you said you
were, and hand them back.

While a market maker / exchange provider wants to know
confirmed identity details of a transactor because of the non-e-gold
payment mechanism used to buy e-gold, the e-gold model is much
better, as it does not rely on credit, and the values transacted are
instantly cleared cash, e-gold (nor the recipient) does not really
need to know your correct address, or to enforce anything on you
for the system to work.

Ian Green
http://two-cents-worth.com/?107242
e-gold estas monda mono! [Esperanto]
e-gold is world money! [English]

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!