Sorry Peter, I'm not from e-gold, but one cannot emphasize enough the need
to ensure you remember your passphrase.

I share your concern, especially as I consider the potential loss of
accounts of people who have accidents or who develop memory problems with
aging or Alzheimers disease!

But think of it from e-gold's point of view, and from other e-gold account
holders. If e-gold start issuing temporary passphrases to people who cannot
be contacted by the details in the account, then surely they are increasing
the risk that the real owner of an e-gold account will have it stolen away
from him simply because he was also available at the contact number to
contradict a scammer's claims! (I'm not accusing you of being a scammer,
but it does increase the risk to e-gold, which could potentially threaten
the ability of e-gold to maintain their services to us at the low one
percent storage (agio) fee, or the fifty cent capped transaction fee.)

In the meantime you still have an ongoing opportunity to try to replicate
your typo, or to remember whatever you were thinking when you changed your
passphrase without correcting your contact details! And if you need to keep
trading while you attempt to jog your memory, you may open a secondary
e-gold account.

As a suggestion to help avoid such forgetfulness in the future, may I
recommend that you get PGP encryption software to store all of your
passphrases in. You might even need to create a self-decrypting archive
that contains your PGP keys. Just, whatever you do, don't forget your PGP
passphrase! :%o Maybe, in the event of accident, death or mental illness,
you should have your passphrase (e-gold or PGP passphrase plus files needed
to access e-gold and other important passphrases) stored in a safe with
your will.

http://ao.com.au/pgp.htm

At 03:47 PM 1/03/2002 -0500, "Peter Brett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>BUT
>
>About 2 weeks ago I changed my passphrase on my account  and in a fit of
>idiocy - forgot it (or typoed it- but now cant remember it)
<SNIP>
>HOWEVER I have moved both residence and job and the contact information
>was not updated (well sue me - I was going to change that next!!)
>
>However. when I contacted e-gold  I was told the ONLY way they can get me
>areplacement pasphrase is to  call the number in the contact info  or to
>snail mail one to me.
<SNIP>
>Umm its MY money guys!! its MY account - and I've offered to give you a
>phone number where you can call me...  But getting a distinct lack of
>calling them - but get told that theres only one way to handle fogotten
>passphrases and that's to follow the protocol.
<SNIP>
>sorry for goin on and on but- I am appalled by the lack of response from
>e-gold  and the lack of flexibility.  If they email me a temp passphrase
>then its hmm 30 seconds while I go in and change it to one I can remember
>Its MY money its MY risk!!
<SNIP>

Ian Green
http://www.clicktwocents.com/?107242
e-gold, e-silver, e-platinum, e-palladium
Elemental, my dear Watson!