Dear Ragnar,

http://planetgold.com/patentwars/13May2002drinkerbiddleltr.pdf

> Any opinions on the above?

It appears to be a pretty thorough lawyer-letter of the "drop
your suit or we'll make it hurt" sort.  Eighteen pages very far
exceeds my willingness to read through the rigamarole.

If one were seeking vulnerabilities of the e-gold system for
the objective of shutting it down, I would think a class
action suit by victims of HYIP schemes might be a more
effective approach than this patent war thing.  I've used
both GoldMoney and e-gold, and I don't think they are the
same software, they don't do the same thing, and they have
distinct look and feel.

But, it isn't really important.  E-bullion has them all beat,
hands down, with its low spend fees, widely scattered servers
and treasury grade vaults, and exemplary customer service.

Even that isn't important.  1MDC FastGrams has them all beat
with its zero spend fees and zero storage fees.  Frictionless
commerce.

Nor is that important, because Crowne Gold has them all beat
with their offshore status and gold accumulation strategy.

Oh, and GoldMoney has them all beat with its offshore
servers, too.  And payment keys make me silly with happiness.

True, and e-gold has them all beat with its dominant position
in the market, ties to e-dinar, and referral program.

My goodness!  The market appears to have five really good,
really effective competitors.  Six if we make allowances for
the paper product of American Liberty Silver, and seven if
we separate e-dinar.  How cool is that?  The market has proven
that online gold is such a good idea that seven worthy and
competitive companies are providing good quality service.

Should we let the market decide who wins and who loses? In
most scenarios, everybody wins.

Well, for my own part, I think that's much better than having
one side or another call for the state to intervene.

Don't you, Ragnar?

While I appreciate that GoldMoney's proprietors have
actual property in the intellectual property represented
by their patents, I do not like the use of the state as a
tool for enforcing patent rights.  I don't see anything
wrong with a property owner defending his property, but I
don't think the state is useful or necessary in this regard.

Regards,

Jim
http://goldbarter.com/