On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:37:57AM -0500, Jim Davidson wrote:
> GK:
>
> I can go further back:
> 1/25/99   23:20       Payment Received
> Batch # 2545
> Gold  +0.520660       10144X  149.95 USD

Well, I'm not inclined to brag but Jim Ray seems to want to give a gram
to the earliest batch number, so here's mine:

10/29/97 20:20 InExchange
Batch #595
Gold +0.936680 300.00 USD

Having not posted for a while I don't want to just post this useless
batch number but instead I'll write some thoughts about automatic
payment verification.

Related to the posting of batch numbers, there's no automatic way to
verify that I'm not lying.  I could tell e-gold that I approve that
they release the transaction history for this one transaction
(according to the user agreement), but that would have to be manually
done by e-gold staff (I guess Jay would pgp-sign an e-mail to the list
including the above information).  I could write a program to verify
it using the automation interface, but it would require my passphrase
as input.  I guess e-gold could make an extension where I could mark
any transaction as public, then anyone could verify it through some
interface (a web page, or the "check history" part of the automation
interface) without my passphrase.

Anyone interested in creating an Internet Gold that is completely
transparent, where anyone could verify that a certain payment has
taken place, or maybe even all transactions are public (but not
necessarily identified)?  I can see such a system having specialized
uses (reputation building for one), not conflicting with existing
Internet Gold systems where the transaction history is private.  Or
there could be a public registry of transactions, which may be from
different currency systems, but with an automated way for them to be
verified (digital signature on the transaction by the issuer).

On a more commerical note, is anyone interested in third-party
verification of SCI payments?  Does anyone offer this service?

Technical stuff below (I'd post it to the e-gold-tech list, but it
relates directly to what I wrote above):

You'd give me [the third party] the hash of your merchant passphrase,
and point your STATUS_URL to my server (instead of, say, a mailto:
link).  Then instead of getting e-mail from e-gold that you have to
paste into the md5 checker page (or login to your account and check
history), I'd have my [the third party would have their] server check
the MD5 for you and if it is valid, e-mail you or store the
transaction in a database.

The third party could almost publish the payment for public
verification, except for the need for the hash of the merchant
passphrase (which is supposed to be secret).

.02 grams link: 100573.e-gold.com

- --
Tril 0. Byte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://tril.tunes.org/
PGP key fingerprint: DADB ED32 6E54 80D0 7E69  7549 C3A3 446F CAA4 66C0
This message is placed in the public domain.