thats the beauty of internet businesses though. you can hire staff anywhere
in the world and live anywhere you want as long as there is a good
connection.

If a business is setup correctly to be a pure internet play, then hiring say
in the US would be a laughable idea at best. Our programmers are all
overseas and support can login from anywhere in the world. After considering
that, location is not relevant depending on disclosure and finances. The
biggest problem I see with finances is to be anywhere but the US requires a
very smart system to process things like money orders when a good majority
of clients are in the States and paying in USD. Otherwise banks tend to hold
them for 4-6 weeks which is fine if the company can float it.

My experience though is that many technically capable people overseas do not
have a real business sense built into them and find support mentally
strenuous and hard to keep up in a fast moving environment. I am not saying
this in a broad way, but that has been my experience in many cases. Their
ability to deliver and our need for a high rate of order/support/dev
processing in real time is in conflict.

Although I have also met some great people who are really smart, and able to
do good work fast. It is not all black and white of course.

Hopefully your experience leads you to greener pastures as being "on site"
might help improve that type of scenario.

I find that one person can handle a couple thousand clients at any given
time so the needs of a business like ours are not as high as some people may
think they are until they get into development which sends our staff
exponentially higher. 10,000 clients can be managed with 3-5 people
depending on what is going on and probably less if your system is fully
automated.

Which brings up a point. Did you see how many hosting clients that sprint
had when they sold off recently? I think the number was 300. My mouth hit
the floor when I heard that. Think about that. How many millions did they
spend? How many employees and servers did they have?  Not to mention full
NOC centers they developed and in the end the number was 300. That is sad.
But then they also invested heavily in line of site high speed internet and
cox came along and kicked their butts on that too.

and people still wonder why all those internet companies failed and are
failing? Citibank closing their online division is probably just another
perfect example.

Gordon