> Unless I'm mistaken, separating out a monetary figure with periods is
> the standard in the non-US world, using commas is perculiar (like many
> things) to the US. That would explain why paypal complains when you do it,
> and
> e-gold embraces it.

The international standard (ISO 31-0:1992) says (Section 3.3.1, page
11):

        "To facilitate the reading of numbers with many digits,
        these may be separated into suitable groups, preferable of
        three, counting from the decimal sign toward the left and the
        right; the groups should be separated by a small space, and
        never by a comma or a point, nor by any other means."

John