another Fraud website :(

Yep, not a new trick, emulating e-gold site,
this particular email pointing to a site falsely claiming to be e-gold
http://66.162.74.192/acct/login.html

If you type garbage and submit, it sends you to e-gold site proper....

e-gold users, any finacial users, need to watch that URL, should
be SSL (https) etc...   oh well can't protect everyone from fraud.

I agree, the  person(s) doing this are evil.

Might be interesting to setup a sting and let the person steal a small
amount and see how they attempt to move the e-gold.   Suspect they'll
transfer immediately then move through moneymaker to currency.  however
they could also do a purchase and launder that way to... ?

--------

hmmm taking a look at the server itself

Doing a traceroute, it appears the server is one hop down from
hrnoc.net
20  nycp-rt-hr7200-1.hrnoc.net (66.162.65.2)  95.374 ms  95.184 ms
116.384 ms
21  66.162.74.192 (66.162.74.192)  96.83 ms  91.846 ms  92.89 ms
Which has admin email [EMAIL PROTECTED] so its probably
http://hostrocket.com/home/index.htm
Which is a hosting company....

No phone number on contact info, so I filled out a form warning them
they have a fraud site up on their servers....
Hope it helps.

Did a nmap on 66.162.74.192

They are running OpenBSD 3.0  - which saddens me, most Openbsd sysadmins
like myself are ususually the good guys  :(

But the machine has a lot of open ports like its a web server and mail
server for hosting services.
So most likely it is a hosted website and the owner is not aware..
For example ftp & pop3 are not on by default after install but
needfull for putting websites up and retrieving email, it
is setup for SSL, yet ssl is not used by site.

And, the machine is using a newer ssh, so it's doubtfull it
was directly compromised, if it is an honest server, its
an user account that had weak password or evil user.

# scanssh 66.162.74.192
66.162.74.192 SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.1p1

here is the nmap port scan results
Interesting ports on  (66.162.74.192):
(The 1522 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
Port       State       Service
20/tcp     closed      ftp-data
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
23/tcp     closed      telnet
25/tcp     open        smtp
42/tcp     closed      nameserver
53/tcp     closed      domain
69/tcp     closed      tftp
80/tcp     open        http
81/tcp     closed      hosts2-ns
101/tcp    closed      hostname
110/tcp    open        pop-3
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
113/tcp    closed      auth
443/tcp    open        https
513/tcp    closed      login
576/tcp    closed      ipcd
950/tcp    closed      oftep-rpc
2049/tcp   closed      nfs
6112/tcp   closed      dtspc
6666/tcp   open        irc-serv
6667/tcp   closed      irc

TCP/IP fingerprint:
SInfo(V=2.54BETA25%P=i386-unknown-openbsd3.0%D=4/7%Time=3CB08B61%O=21%C=20)

-regards
   paul <ppruett at cocoavillagepublishing.com>

//*************************************************************
// Designing, Integrating and Maintaining Information Techology
// Cocoa Village Publishing      www.cocoavillagepublishing.com
// 415 Brevard Ave, Cocoa FL 32922, ph 321-639-4344 fx 639-8681

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Rick van Rein wrote:
> read the message in a non-HTML tool, there is an indication that the link
> would go to the real e-gold.com website, but what actually happens is that
> a browser is taken to IP 66.162.74.192.
> Rick van Rein,

---
You are currently subscribed to e-gold-tech as: archive@jab.org