On 10 nov. 2009, at 21:57, vvang hua wrote:

Dr. Mondada:

The 278 robots demo is very fascinating, I wonder after the system synchronized, how did you manage to arrange the group achieve an specified e-puck icon, as in the video?

Since each bot does not have localization on it, I suspect the bots were preset in the desired shape, and run a random walking (with obstacle avoidance) after the balloon blast, and show us the video in reverse? Just some wild guess.

Very good guess. It's not a secret; without localization, this is exactly the way we made: the robot were placed on the logo, then a balloon blast was used to have a synchronous start. Then just obstacle avoidance. The video is then played in reverse. The goal was a good visual effect, not to prove any robotic feature.

Best regards
                                                Francesco

Looking forward to your answer.
Message: 2
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:33:43 +0200
From: Francesco Mondada <francesco.mond...@epfl.ch>
To: Myles Honda <myleshonda2...@u.northwestern.edu>
Cc: e-puck-user

To have a common timing for all robots for our video with 278 robots
we used a balloon explosion detected by a simple threshold on the
microphones.... this gives a nice synchro and is easy to implement.
                                                       Francesco

--
Best regards,
          hua

------------------------------
Dr. Francesco Mondada
Senior researcher, MER

Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
Laboratoire de Systèmes Robotiques (LSRO)

Postal address:
Francesco Mondada
EPFL  - STI  - IMT - LSRO
bureau MEB330, Station 9