Thank you for your reply Sergi. In my code I configured the camera to capture the whole 640x480 image which is scaled by a zoom factor of 8 in x and y to give a 80x60 image. I also set it to be in greyscale so only 1 byte per pixel is needed. Which is why I didn't think the problem was the buffer being too small or me not interpreting the data into rgb properly.

The data the camera gives me is basically garbage, it's mostly empty 0x00 or 0x08 and the data doesn't seem to be affected when I put my hand over the camera. I've attached an example of the image data the epuck running the code below sends back.

Perhaps I have incorrect drivers for the camera or something? I read somewhere that there are sometimes po6030k cameras on the epuck. How do I tell which one my robot has?
Thanks,

Jenny