On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Ilija Baniski wrote:
> I am evaluating the IntelĀ® PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Bypass Server Adapter
> as a potential component of a product line.
>
> I successfully installed the card (with the e1000e driver) to work as a
> normal ethernet card on an Ubuntu server. The next, and most important
> step is to test the bypass functionality of the card.

I'm surprised that the driver loaded, did you have to add the device ID?

> >From one of the technical briefs I found out that this is done
> programatically. So my guess would be that some register needs to be set
> to enable the bypass mode; and then use some sort of a watchdog to keep
> the bypass off while the computer is up.

You should have received some kind of enabling kit with the adapter, and
the e1000 driver that came with that should have some example code of how
to use the bypass interface.

Currently we use the e1000e driver but that should be an easy port of the
bypass changes.

> I understand that this functionality is not supported by the original
> driver, and would have to implement it myself. However, from what I have
> found so far on this project page and Intel's website, I realize that
> there is not enough documentation available to do this.

we have example code in an e1000 driver specific to that adapter.

> My question is whether someone one might have a reference manual about
> this card that makes note of the bypass functionality. The developers
> manual focuses mainly on the 82571 chipset (which is used in multiple
> cards).

right, the bypass adapter is special, but that example code I mention
above should be able to help you.

> If such a reference does not exist, how would I best approach this
> problem?

If you cannot find the reference code please file a QuAD at
premier.intel.com and a TME should be able to get you the driver.  If the
driver is not available on our web site specifically for that adapter we
have a bug on the web site.

Hope this helps,
  Jesse