It's indeed a ThinkPad T61p running Arch Linux 2009.08.

I just tried with 2.6.32.2 from kernel.org and the problem is still
there. I used make oldconfig with the config file from my 2.6.30.4
kernel (which does not have this problem) so it doesn't seem to be some
config option that the Arch Linux kernel enabled that is causing the
problem.

I should have mentioned that this happens when there is no link/cable
present so there is no traffic at all. However, problem is not there
with 2.6.30.4 under the same circumstances.

I have not tested it with an ethernet connection since I only have
wireless access at the moment, but could perhaps test with an ethernet
connection if needed (but I guess that will not help). Also, I do not
see any strange output or errors in the system log upon loading or
unloading the module.

Thanks,
Aditya