On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 02:06 -0800, Carsten Aulbert wrote:

> with 1.0.2-k2 and default options (except crcstripping=0) we get close to 120
> MB/s and no dropped packets.
>
> rebooting the system to a kernel with a newer driver yields only 150-250kB/s
> throughput and a packet drop-rate close to 20%..

Hi Carsten, it sounds to me like this might be related to ASPM, can you
try the boot option pcie_aspm=off

before you do that please capture the output of lspci -vvv and attach it
to the bug (or send it here I suppose)  also include ethtool -e ethX
output as an attachment, I'm interested to see some settings in your
eeprom.

> I'm attaching quite a number of files to this post, but would like to learn
> how to find out, what's wrong and how to fix it.
>
> This error seemed to be popping up here and there on this list and elsewhere,
> but so far I've yet to find a definite answer ...

as John said, rx_missed with no rx_no_buffer_count means that you're
dropping packets in hardware which typically means that something is
going wrong at the bus level or the PCIe transaction level, that ends up
delaying packets, due to long memory latencies or something like that
(just typical problems, not saying it is exactly your issue)

aspm is one of those causes, there can be others