Adding our e1000-devel mailing list...

From: Stroud, Simon [mailto:simon.str...@ultra-ccs.com]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 02:50
To: Kirsher, Jeffrey T
Subject: igb LAN driver question - support for i210 "flash-less" and iNVM
minimum contents required.

Hi Jeff, I hope you will be able to assist ...

Apologies for the direct approach - I found your contact details when reading
through details of patches to the Intel igb Linux driver. It appears that you
are an expert in this area. Please advise if there is some alternative Intel
colleague who would be more appropriate for me to contact.

I am having problems getting up and running with an embedded i210 (flash-less)
based design on an ARM platform under Linux.

The main problem is that there is not enough information in the i210 datasheet
to indicate exactly what minimum amount of iNVM data needs to be programmed to
get the device to work with the igb driver. I've summarised the current status
below ...

I have previously successfully used the 82574 on an embedded Core i7/Windows
design. That was simple to program and get working using EEUPDATE. I was
planning to use the 82574 again on this ARM-based project. However, our
distributor (Arrow Electronics) recommended that I instead use the newer i210,
especially because it supports "flash-less" operation - and Linux driver
support is available. (Also I need industrial temperature operation.)

I have connected the i210 to the PCI Express interface on my i.MX6 processor.
NVM, NC_SI and SMB pins are all unused (and have appropriate pullup/pulldown
resistors). The "SECURITY ENABLE" strapping option is set to enabled. The i210
is correctly being detected on the PCI Express interface, and is reporting its
expected "blank" Device ID of 0x1531.

The Linux driver (igb-5.0.5) does not recognise the device (because 0x1531 does
not appear in the Device IDs listed in e1000_hw.h).

It appears that the driver was recently updated to support "flashless" i210
operation, and a device ID was added for this:

#define E1000_DEV_ID_I210_COPPER_FLASHLESS           0x157B

So it appears that the iNVM must be programmed to contain at least this Device
ID.

I also have the programming tool "eepromARMtool0.6.5". The release notes for
this state that it only supports programming an i210 WITH Flash memory
connected, or an i211 iNVM. However the source code suggests that actually it
does check for iNVM presence in the i210 and should work with that
configuration.

At the moment, eepromARM tool just crashes with a "bus error". I need to
investigate this more and get it working.

When I do get the tool working so that I can program the i210's iNVM, do you
please have information on the minimum data I need to program to get the device
to work with the igb-5.0.5 driver. Is just the Device ID 0x157B sufficient? As
the iNVM is a "one time only" device, I don't want to have to try out too many
different settings as these will quickly use up all available addresses and
I'll have to solder on a new i210! Also if possible, our software team would
prefer the MAC address to be set by software, and therefore preferably NOT
included in the iNVM data.

Thanks in anticipation.
Best regards,
Simon.

Simon Stroud
Contract Hardware Design Consultant

Ultra Electronics
Command & Control Systems (Surveillance Systems)
316 Botley Road, Burridge, Southampton,
Hampshire, SO31 1BQ, UK

mailto:simon.str...@ultra-ccs.com
Tel: +44 (0)1489 555737
Fax: +44 (0)1489 557374

This e-mail is from Ultra Electronics Limited and any attachments to it are
confidential to the
intended  recipient and may also be privileged. If you have received it in
error please notify the
sender and delete it from your system. If you are not the intended recipient
you must not copy
it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any
other person.

All communications may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational
and/or security purposes.
Please rely on your own virus checking as the sender cannot accept any
liability for any damage arising
from any bug or virus infection. Ultra Electronics Limited is a company
registered in England and Wales,
registration number 2830644. The address of its registered office is 417
Bridport Road, Greenford,
Middlesex, UB6 8UA.