Hey Mike,

Driver versions from in-distro drivers are kind of black magic at best.  The
norm seems to be to start with the version of the driver that was in the
initial pull from kernel.org.  And although they back port fixes/enhancements
to the code base they don't change the driver version.  So it is really hard to
tell exactly what features are included in the Ubuntu driver vs. the latest OoT
(out of tree) SourceForge driver, which by the way is up to version 3.2.2.

Intel isn't directly involved (at least I'm not and I own the ixgbe/vf drivers
:) with what they do or do not back port so I can't really tell you in any
detail.  Couldn't you just try the in kernel driver and see if you get all the
features you require and if not upgrade?

Thanks,
-Don Skidmore <donald.c.skidm...@intel.com>