On 10/26/2016 06:43 PM, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
Question: How do I rebuild the OpenMPI module with proper Slurm support?

Rebuilding with --force should work, so for some reason your customized
EasyBuild was not picked up...
How did you provide it to EasyBuild exactly? Was it available in the
local directory where you ran the 'eb' command?

You can verify that the right easyconfig is picked up via a dry run
like: "eb OpenMPI-1.10.3-GCC-5.4.0-2.26.eb -Df", which will print the
path to the easyconfig files used.

The dry-run actually looks fine, and I can do the rebuild with --force correctly now (don't know why I had the problem in the first place).

Question: Can Slurm support please be included in future versions of
the OpenMPI module in the foss-201x tool chain?
This is a left as a site-specific customization, since including
--with-slurm hard would make the installation fail on any systems that
do not have SLURM.

We should have documentation on how to deal with site-specific
customisations well though.
Is anyone doing that (JSC, CSCS, TAMU?) up for writing up some
documentation for this?
The existing documentation has some examples hinting towards a possible
setup: http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Configuration.html#example

I have tested successfully adding this line to OpenMPI-1.10.3-GCC-5.4.0-2.26.eb:

configopts += '--with-slurm --with-pmi=/usr/include/slurm --with-pmi-libdir=/usr ' # Support of Slurm

Our cluster uses Slurm 16.05.5 on CentOS 7.2, and the Slurm RPMs slurm and slurm-devel install files in the above mentioned directories.

As for documentation of Slurm with OpenMPI, I have some notes in our Wiki: https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/SLURM#mpi-setup

/Ole