Hi Pablo,

On 19-11-2016 13:50, Pablo Escobar Lopez wrote:
I think Lmod 6.x doesn't support using a modulerc file. This feature was
added in latest Lmod 7.0. See the changelog here
https://github.com/TACC/Lmod

Great, thanks for the clarification and suggestions. I didn't realize that Lmod only supports .modulerc from version 7.0.

What Lmod 6.x supports is hidding a module if the version in the module
name starts by dot. e.g. a module like "zlib/.1.2.8" would be hidden by
Lmod. To list hidden and non-hidden modules you should do "module av
--show-hidden"

Yes, but it's a bit cumbersome to maintain such renamings xxx->.xxx. Maybe this is the simplest option at this time, however.

You can generate hidden modules with Easybuild (including the required
dot) using the --hide-deps option
http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Manipulating_dependencies.html?highlight=hidden#installing-dependencies-as-hidden-modules-using-hide-deps
<http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Manipulating_dependencies.html?highlight=hidden#installing-dependencies-as-hidden-modules-using-hide-deps>

You can also use the --hidden option (see build parameters)
http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/version-specific/easyconfig_parameters.html?highlight=hidden
<http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/version-specific/easyconfig_parameters.html?highlight=hidden>

If you are using Lmod 6.x and you want to hide modules you will have to
regenerate the module files to add the required dot. For this the
--module-only option in easybuild can be useful. If you upgrade to Lmod
7.x you can use the modulerc file and avoid renaming module names.

IMHO, the --hidden option ought to be the EB default for all "system" modules which are irrelevant to end users.

/Ole