From: easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be
[mailto:easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be] On Behalf Of Jack Perdue
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 11:39 AM
To: easybuild@lists.ugent.be
Subject: Re: [easybuild] R extra packages

On 12/16/2016 10:22 AM, Siddiqui, Shahzeb wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to create a easyconfig for each R package, I find that to
> be best suitable for our environment at Pfizer. I know we can pass
> along the R packages in the R easybuild using exts_list . The only
> issue is we have our own set of R packages that we need to install,
> and I am not sure in which order they need to be installed.
>
> It's important to separate the R installation from the R packages
> because in the case of a build error in R package it would fail to
> build R if they are both together.
>
> I would like to build R packages as modules which will be particularly
> important for some special R packages that require a special
> dependency. For instance we need R2Jags and that has a dependency for
> JAGS. I have JAGS in a module environment so I would like R2Jags
> module file to load Jags before a user can use R2Jags.
>
> When loading base R module it will allow user to have access to base R
> packages that is quite small. The special R packages that are build
> with Easybuild will have their R module only visible when loading R.
> This can be done via MODULEPATH variable.
>
> Similar to how you have Python package like numpy, I would like this
> framework for R packages.

If you want to look over my experiment for automatically building easyconfigs
based on CRAN data, see:

   http://www.siliconslick.com/easybuild/R_madness/

There are the scripts (which will need work), the easyconfigs created, and the
modules built from those.

I thought it was a great idea.  Others on our staff, not so much (they are
content to use R and Python's built in tools for installing to a directory out
of the EasyBuild tree).

Personally, as someone who likes to keep track of what versions he's using (and
not have some "pip" update something under my feet), I'd spend time doing the
same for Python... but I got plenty other stuff to keep me busy [I'm having a
good old time with --minimal-toolchains and my new 2016D toolchains based on
GCCcore/6.2.0]

jack