You can EasyBuild to regenerate the modules with --module-only. Be careful, as
in some corner cases the resulting module might be difficult when simply
regenerating the module and when installing software for real.

You can also hide the modules using lmod’s 7 hidden modules feature. In your
modulerc file you can have stuff like hide_version("mpich/3.2-dbg"). That way
you won’t see the hidden modules with module avail, but all your modules will
still work. I am not sure how scalable that is, since lmod will check for every
module if it should be shown or not, and for that it will go through the whole
list.

You can also hide then manually, but that’s more work and you need to make sure
your modules are consistent (load (“X/1.0”) won’t work if the module is
“X/.1.0”).

The way we do that is having a list of hidden dependencies in
EASYBUILD_HIDE_DEPS, and be careful to don’t install dependencies directly
without --hidden. I’ve sent to the mailing list our list of hidden dependencies
this week, in case you want to use it as a basis.

Regarding --minimal-toolchains, why do you think it is a good idea to keep the
number of modules low? I mean, it looks to me like a good idea, but
independently of --minimal-toolchains.

Damian

On 07/04/17 14:05, "easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be on behalf of Andreas
Hilboll" <easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be on behalf of hilb...@uni-bremen.de>
wrote:

    Hi all,

    when I started using EasyBuild, I didn't know about the option to hide
    modules.  Slowly, the list of installed modules becomes too long for
    `module avail` to be useful for the user.  So I would like to hide
    modules.  The question is, how should I do this?

    1. Re-generate all modules (can I use EasyBuild to regenerate modules,
       hiding them if I want to, without recompiling the code?)

    2. Manually hide modules (probably a bad idea)

    3. ???

    It would be nice to have a best-practices document somewhere, but I
    couldn't find any. [*]

    Also, from what I understand, using minimal toolchains is generally a
    good idea to keep the number of modules low -- correct?

    I'd appreciate any guidance on how I can clean up my installation.

    Cheers,
      Andreas.

    PS: I'm using lmod

    [*] I'd be happy to write a blog post from a non-expert's perspective
    (I'm no sysadmin, and our cluster is rather smallish, almost no
    technical staff to maintain the software).

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt