Hi Jakob,

On 04/10/2018 13:40, Jakob Schiøtz wrote:
Dear all,

Am I right in remembering that the correct version of Python to use with the
foss/2018b and intel/2018b toolchains is Python 3.6.6 and not Python 3.7.0?
At least it seems to be 3.6.6 that has various python modules available.

But for iomkl/2018b, only version 3.7.0 is available.  Should I add 3.6.6 while
adding ASE and matplotlib, or should I use 3.7.0 in this case (or in all
cases?).

We initially started with Python 3.7.0 for the 2018b toolchain generation, but ran into several problems and therefore switched to Python 3.6.6 before creating easyconfigs that have Python 3.7.0 as a dependency included. We left the easyconfig files for Python 3.7.0 in place though (since they were already included in an EasyBuild release at that time).

There was a small problem with pandas that didn't officially support Python 3.7 yet + similar issues with several other Python packages.

Also a rather major issue has surfaced recently with numpy, see https://www.opensourceanswers.com/blog/you-shouldnt-use-python-37-for-data-science-right-now.html .

It seems like a couple of backwards-incompatible things have crept into Python 3.7.0, so in my experience it's a bit too early to start relying on it heavily... Maybe the Python core developers are scared of bumping the major version number? ;-)

Long story short: it makes sense to add an easyconfig for Python 3.6.6 with iomkl/2018b, indeed.

regards,

Kenneth

Best regards

Jakob