Dear all,

We use matplotlib with Tkinter support.  Until foss/2018a that worked just
fine, but with foss/2018b it causes a module named LibUUID to be loaded. That
library breaks a lot of programs, for example it causes Emacs to crash.  It
also causes errors like this from the MPI stack:

[x049.nifl.fysik.dtu.dk:12411] mca_base_component_repository_open: unable to
open mca_mtl_psm:
/home/modules/software/LibUUID/1.0.3-GCCcore-7.3.0/lib/libuuid.so.1: version
`UUID_1.0' not found (required by /lib64/libpsm_infinipath.so.1) (ignored)

I don’t know why this library is being loaded by X11/20180604-GCCcore-7.3.0 but
not by X11/20180131-GCCcore-6.4.0

Somehow, I guess the underlying real problem is that EasyBuild relies on
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find shared libraries, instead of compiling with
-Wl,-rpath=XXX.  It will invariably cause breakage like this, where one module
points to a folder containing a library with the same name as another program
expects to find elsewhere.  But that may be very difficult to fix, getting rid
of LibUUID might be a good start. :-)

Best regards

Jakob

--