Dear Kenneth,

Kenneth Hoste <kenneth.ho...@ugent.be> writes:

> Dear Loris,
>
> On 12/10/2018 15:28, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When tring to install via bootstrap_eb.py on CentOS 7 I get the
>> following error:
>>
>>    [[INFO]] EasyBuild bootstrap script (version 20180925.01, MD5:
>> 4e568883f293f94ade46a14d25cb6b94)
>>    easybuild.tools.build_log.EasyBuildError: 'EasyBuild requires Lmod >=
>> v6.6.3, found v6.5.1'
>>
>> The documentation doesn't mention this dependency.  Should it?
>
> We don't explicitly mention the required Lmod version in the documentation
> since
> that increases the risk of having outdated documentation when the version is
> bumped (like it was for EasyBuild v3.7.0).
>
> The version requirement will be slightly lowered again in the upcoming
> EasyBuild
> v3.7.1 btw, see https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-framework/pull/2593.
> And you'll get the possibility to bypass the module version check entirely (at
> your own risk, of course), see
> https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-framework/pull/2610 .
>
> For now, you can install previous version (EasyBuild v3.6.2) instead doesn't
> require Lmod 6.x yet (in fact, it'll still be happy with an ancient Lmod 5.x),
> as follows:
>
> EASYBUILD_BOOTSTRAP_FORCE_VERSION=3.6.2 python bootstrap_eb.py ...

OK, thanks for the information.  If the dependency on the exact version
of Lmod is so volatile that documenting it explicitly would be a pain,
perhaps the solution above could be mentioned as a general workaround
for dependency problems.  I think this would be handy as everyone
running CentOS or similar will get bitten by this.

However, I found the following information regarding a newer version of
Lmod:

  https://lists.ugent.be/wws/arc/easybuild/2018-09/msg00030.html

and will try out version 6.6.3.

Cheers,